Khaplu fort Gilgit Baltistan ? If you plan to explore the historical fort of Khaplu in Gilgit-Baltistan, must visit:
- Timing: The best time to visit Khaplu Palace is during the summer months from May to September when the weather is mild and pleasant. However, the palace is open year-round.
- Guided tours: To fully appreciate the history and architecture of the palace, consider hiring a local guide who can provide you with insights into the region’s culture and history.
- Dress appropriately: When visiting Khaplu Palace, make sure to dress modestly and respectfully. Women should cover their heads and wear long sleeves and pants or skirts.
- Bring comfortable shoes: The palace is a large complex with many stairs and uneven surfaces, so make sure to wear comfortable shoes that are suitable for walking.
- Take your time: The palace is a beautiful and intricate structure, so take your time to explore and appreciate its many details.
- Visit the museum: The palace’s museum is a great place to learn more about the history and culture of the region. Make sure to set aside some time to visit it during your tour.
- Enjoy the views: The palace is located in a stunningly beautiful region with views of the surrounding mountains and valley. Take some time to appreciate the scenery and enjoy the peaceful surroundings.
Exploring the historical fort of Khaplu is an incredible experience that will
transport you back in time and give you a glimpse into the rich history and culture of the region.
Make sure to plan your visit in advance and take your time to fully appreciate all that the palace has to offer.Explore Khaplu fort Gilgit Baltistan?
About Khaplu fort
The Khaplu Fort is a historical fort located in the town of Khaplu in the Gilgit-Baltistan region of Pakistan.
It was built in the mid-19th century by
Yabgo Raja Daulat Ali Khan,
the ruler of Khaplu,
who was a vassal of the Dogra dynasty of Jammu and Kashmir.
The fort was built on a hill
overlooking the Khaplu Valley and
was strategically located to protect the town from invading armies.
It served as the residence of the royal family of Khaplu
until the 1940s when the family moved to a new palace.
After the royal family left, the fort
fell into disrepair and was abandoned.
In the 1990s, the Aga Khan Trust for Culture began restoration work on the fort,
which was completed in 2005.
Today, the Khaplu Fort has been converted into a luxury hotel,
and it is open to tourists who want to experience the rich history and culture of the region.
The fort is a beautiful example of traditional Balti architecture, with intricate wood carvings and stonework.
It has been designated as a heritage site by the
government of Pakistan and attracts tourists from all over the world. Visitors can also explore the nearby Khaplu Mosque, which is another important historical landmark in the region.
The Khaplu Fort is an important historical and cultural landmark in Gilgit-Baltistan, it provides a unique glimpse into the region’s rich history and heritage.
Things to do in the Khaplu
- Visit the Khaplu Fort: The Khaplu Fort is a historical fort that has been beautifully restored and converted into a luxury hotel. You can visit the fort and explore its intricate wood carvings and stonework.
- Explore the Khaplu Bazaar: The Khaplu Bazaar is a traditional market that offers a glimpse into the daily life of the local people. You can shop for traditional handicrafts, spices, and other local products.
- Visit the Khaplu Mosque: The Khaplu Mosque is a beautiful example of traditional Balti architecture. It is located near the Khaplu Fort and is open to visitors.
- Enjoy the natural beauty: Khaplu is surrounded by beautiful mountains and valleys. You can go for a hike or a trek to explore the natural beauty of the region.
- Learn about the local culture: The people of Khaplu have a rich culture and heritage. You can visit local homes and learn about their way of life, or attend traditional music and dance performances.
- Taste the local cuisine: Khaplu is known for its delicious food, which includes traditional Balti dishes such as momos, thukpa, and goshtaba.
Let’s travel to Khaplu fort
- By air: The nearest airport to Khaplu is the Skardu Airport, which is located about 103 km away. You can take a domestic flight from Islamabad to Skardu, and then hire a private car or taxi to reach Khaplu. It takes about 2-3 hours to drive from Skardu to Khaplu.
- By road: You can also reach Khaplu by road from Skardu, Gilgit, or Islamabad. The road journey from Islamabad to Khaplu takes about 2-3 days, with stops at various scenic locations along the way. You can hire a private car or taxi, or take a bus or shared taxi.
- By tour: Another option is to book a tour that includes Khaplu in its itinerary. There are many tour operators in Pakistan that offer tours of the Gilgit-Baltistan region, and some of them include Khaplu as a destination.
After reach, Khaplu, you can explore the historical fort, visit the nearby mosque, and enjoy the natural beauty of the region.